Wednesday 24 April 2013

Baark! On. Writing Contest Winner for 18 years old and over; Tegan Springate.


Last month we at Baark! held a writing contest. We asked readers to tell us the story of their rescued or adopted animal and why they have made such a great pet, and you delivered. After carefully reading the many entries we have selected the three age group winners. For the next three weeks we will print their beautiful stories in this Baark! column. This week’s winner, representing the 18 + group is Tegan Springate age- 27. Thank you and congratulations Tegan!!


The Story of Exuma

I found my rescue dog a little over three years ago.  She is a stunning Potcake, from the island of Exuma, who I named Exuma (Zoom for short)!  When I found her, I couldn't have created a better story. 
We pulled up to the house where she was born, while her Dad was tied up to a doghouse with a metal chain and was aggressively trying to attack the car we were in.  I stepped out of the car, as about 8-10 children were exiting the house.  As I walked up to the front step, a tiny puppy came running from behind the house and came straight to my feet and sat on my toes.  I picked her up, and as I looked into her golden-brown eyes, I knew I had found what I was looking for.  The children of the house said I was free to take her, as they had no interest in keeping her.  We left a bag of dog food for the Dad, in hopes he would get a good meal.

We took her back to my family’s home and gave her a quick bath, and it was off to the vet to get her shots and paperwork in order for me to bring her back to Canada. She flew back with me to Canada, to a rude-awakening of icy-cold weather, but true to how most Potcakes are, she loved the snow!  Exuma has been with me through everything, including the break-up of a long-term relationship, achieving a second degree, and our most current adventure.
Our latest adventure has taken us all the way to England where I have begun a new job and a new life.  She completed the long flight better than I could have imagined.  She is the most amazing dog, and has fully adjusted to a new place, new people, and new home. She has also made the transition for me much easier, as I have never felt too homesick because I have her.  Exuma is the perfect dog, and is always in tune with my health, feelings, and workload.  She makes me smile everyday and is the most comforting dog to be around.  She is always up for a cuddle.  She frequently gets people commenting on how lovely she is and how unique looking she is.  Exuma is my best friend, the biggest part of my life, and I don’t know what I would do without her!

  

Please spay and neuter your animals, this simple procedure saves lives and decreases the suffering of unwanted animals.
This column is proudly brought to you by BAARK! the Bahamas Alliance for Animal Rights and Kindness.
For more information contact us at info@baarkbahamas.org, (427.SPAY) or visit our website www.baarkbahamas.com

No comments:

Post a Comment