Wednesday 12 December 2012

My Best Christmas Present Ever! Part Two





We at Baark! have been asking the question;  What is your best Christmas gift ever?
Over the next three weeks we will feature three of our favorite answers in our column. As

In a waiting room of one of my visits sat a young girl and her mom. They were discussing the Baark! collection tin. The mother explained that Baark! is the Bahamas Alliance for Animal Rights and Kindness an organization that cares about the welfare of Bahamian animals. The mom continued to explain, “Baark! helps animals have a quick operation to help them not have any more puppies or kittens”  Right now the humane society is full of puppies and kittens that do not have anyone to care for them, Baark! wants to help prevent homelessness in our Bahamian animals.

The little girl’s eyes widened, “No more puppies- Why?” she begged to know. The mom responded, “If there are too many puppies they do not get properly taken care of, they get hurt, and cannot find enough food.” Baark! helps pet owners who are not able to afford the operation for their dog get the operation”.  As the girl took all of that in, the vet came out with one of the puppies I had recently found. The puppy was skinny, dirty, and lethargic. It was obviously sick.
The vet spoke in lowered tones to me but I was certain the girl could hear. The vet said the puppy was in bad shape and that he needed foster care until he was strong enough to survive in the shelter or get a real home as quick as possible.  I caught the girl’s eyes staring at this very sick puppy, her eyes moving from the puppy to the Baark! logo on my shirt.
I caught her eyes, lifted the puppy up and said, “This is why Baark! does what it does, if we are successful, people will be responsible pet owners and every dog will have a loving home and a meal every day and there will not be thousands of unwanted puppies, dogs, cats and kittens.”  She smiled and wished me good luck as I went on my way. I turned one last time as I opened the door. It was there I saw the best Christmas gift ever. The little girl was opening her purse. She moved towards the Baark! collection tin and emptied it’s contents into the tin. She turned to smile knowing she made a difference. While this was not a gift personally addressed to me, it was a gift that I witnessed and it touched my heart.  This was the best Christmas present ever!
A thankful Baark! volunteer


Why not put Baark! on your Christmas list. Make a donation to Baark!’s spay and neuter campaign in lieu of gifts under the tree

Please spay and neuter your animals, this simple procedure saves lives and decreases the suffering of unwanted animals.

For more information contact us at info@baarkbahamas.org, (558-3039) or visit our website www.baarkbahamas.com



No comments:

Post a Comment